Want the best IVF abroad? Fertility tourism is the idea of traveling to another country for fertility treatment. Fertility tourism falls under the umbrella of medical tourism. Although the United States does have high-quality healthcare and strict regulations, the cost of treatment and lack of success at their hometown clinics are causing couples to think outside of the box.
What To Consider When Looking For The Best IVF Abroad
When looking for fertility treatment abroad, it’s important to consider these six things in your care.
- Cost of Treatment
- Native Language
- Governing Bodies
- Flight, Hotel and Travel Costs
- Local Fertility Laws
- Location of Your Frozen Embryos and Eggs
Looking outside of the USA countries can provide high quality of care at a low cost. Let’s take a look at 6 countries for the best IVF abroad and the pros and cons of each.
Grand Cayman Island
Grand Cayman, the largest of the Cayman Islands, hosts Cayman Fertility Centre. This state-of-the-art fertility clinic opened in January 2019 and is focused on providing IVF and donor egg services with some of the highest success rates in the world. A majority of their patients undergo pre-implantation genetic testing (PGT) with single embryo transfer and this clinic reports a greater than 84% pregnancy rate from elective single embryo transfers (eSET). This high pregnancy rate and use of advanced technology for an affordable price outs Cayman Fertility Centre on the top of our list for the best IVF abroad!
What Are The IVF Regulations In Grand Cayman?
- The language in the Cayman islands is English making it very accessible for North American patients.
- PGS (pre-implantation genetic screening) and PGD (pre-implantation genetic diagnosis) are now referred to as PGT and is available in Grand Cayman. PGT allows physicians to screen for specific diseases within embryos with the ultimate goal of transferring the healthiest embryo possible. More than half the cycles in Grand Cayman utilize PGT, making it a destination for patients who desire this technology.
- There is no restriction on treating single women or same sex couples.
- Egg donation, embryo donation and sperm donation is allowed. Gestational surrogacy is rarely done but due to the low cost and proximity, many North American patients will have embryos created in Grand Cayman and transferred in their home state or province if permitted.
- Women can undergo IVF or donor egg cycles until 50 years of age.
How Much Does IVF Cost In Grand Cayman?
- IVF costs can range from $6750 – $8000 per cycle. Egg freezing is very affordable at this clinic costing $4950 per cycle. Medication costs can range from $1500 – $3500 per cycle.
- Egg donation is predominately via frozen eggs from Donor Egg Bank and Fairfax cryobank, two US based networks of donor eggs.
- Flights from the United States can be very low depending on where you live. Average round-trip flights from New York to Cayman are $350 – $500 depending on the time of year. Use websites like Skyscanner to check up to the minute prices.
You can learn more by visiting Cayman Fertility Centre
Barbados Fertility Centre is the only clinic in Barbados, a small country of less than 300,000 people. This clinic is Joint Commission International (JCI) certified and the most well-regarded established practices in the Caribbean having started 19 years ago.
What Are The IVF Regulations In Barbados?
- The language in Barbados is British English.
- PGT is available, but less often preformed relative to fresh IVF. There is no restriction on treating single women or same sex couples.
- Egg donation, embryo donation and sperm donation is allowed. Gestational surrogacy is not done.
- Women can undergo IVF up until 50 years of age.
How Much Does IVF Cost In Barbados?
- IVF costs can range from $5500 – $7000 per cycle. Egg freezing is available. Medication costs can range from $1500 – $3500 per cycle.
- Egg donation is one of the most cost-effective options in Barbados at $7000-$9000 a cycle using local donors. This clinic offers shared donor cycles which can further reduce cost.
- Flights from the United States can be very low depending on where you live. Average round-trip flights from New York to Barbados are $350 – $500 depending on the time of year. Use websites like Skyscanner to check up to the minute prices.
You can learn more by visiting Barbados Fertility Centre
The Czech Republic has approximately 30 clinics throughout the country and is well regulated by their governing body, the Czech Society for Assisted Reproduction. As a Czech citizen, women under the age of 39 have 3 chances at IVF that is completely covered by the government. However, many travel to the Czech Republic without being citizens.
What Are The IVF Regulations In The Czech Republic?
- The predominant language is Czech to it’s 10 million residents. Many clinics have a translator that helps their international patients.
- Egg donation and sperm donation is allowed, although embryo donation is not allowed.
- Women can undergo IVF up until 48 years of age.
How Much Does IVF Cost In The Czech Republic?
- IVF costs can range from $2500 – $4000 per cycle. Medication costs can range from $500 – $1000 per cycle
- Flights from the United States cost a bit more than traveling to other parts of Europe. Average round-trip flights from New York to Prague are $600 – $800 depending on the time of year. Use websites like Skyscanner to check up to the minute prices.
Greece has just 60 clinics in its country but is a popular destination due to its beautiful scenery and low-cost IVF. The country also regulates IVF and related procedures and is a part of ESHRE, however this varies by clinic and is not mandated as it is in the US. Greek is the main language, and some clinics will have translators that can speak English especially in clinics that cater to fertility tourism.
- PGT is available, however limited in use.
- Single people can get IVF, but gay or lesbian couples are not allowed to have care.
- 3 embryos can be transferred, and possibly 4 if the woman is older.
- No harsh limits on embryo storage, however if you have frozen embryos you cannot create more until you use your frozen embryos.
How Much Does IVF Cost In Greece?
- IVF ranges from $3500 – $5000. Medications can range from $1000 – $2000.
Spain is one of the most popular countries for IVF treatment abroad. Their national healthcare system is the Sistema Sanitario Publico. Spain is known to have clean and modern facilities with physicians who are highly trained and specialized. There are many laws and regulations that are in support of those going through IVF of using donors.
What Are The IVF Regulations In Spain?
- Anyone can be treated regardless of age, marital status and sexual orientation. A law is in place that prevents discrimination in the healthcare field
- Surrogacy is currently not allowed in Spain
- Most Spanish clinics have people on staff who speak multiple languages, including English. However, English is often not their native language.
How Much Does IVF Cost In Spain?
- IVF cycles average $5,000 – $7,000 per cycle. Medication ranges from $1200 – $2000.
- Flight prices can be reasonable going from the United States to major cities like Madrid or Barcelona. The cost of living in Spain on average is less than other parts of the EU. Use websites like Skyscanner to check up to the minute prices.
- Total cost with travel: $1500-$3000